Thursday, March 3, 2011

No Bullies Allowed

When I was in the second grade, I couldn’t stand two things – school lunches and bullies. Eventually, those two things met and created a perfect storm.

First the school lunches. I complained so long and so loud that my mother finally gave in and let me take my lunch to school. I suppose she figured that the apple and the ham sandwich I would eat was better than the spaghetti and the salad that I wouldn’t. I scrounged around in my grandmother’s trunks and assorted junk until I came up with a real treasure – a metal lunch box whose original owner was w-a-y before my time. Looking back, I can see why my mother was reluctant to let me use it. Most adults would think it was awfully ugly, and it was kind of large, but I thought it was wonderful – especially with those pink flower stickers I added to dress it up. Personalizing it by adding my name in Magic Marker might or might not have made it better.

Now, the bully. A group of us walked to school together and it was actually kind of fun. Except for the bully. We had to walk by his house on the way to school. He was big, his house was bigger, and he was mean. We were not allowed to pick fights and I sure didn’t have the guts to pick one with the bully anyway. I was always afraid he was going to come out and do something awful to us when we went by his house. Sometimes he chased us and threw things at us. Sometimes he didn’t see us. Those were pretty much the two options.

So . . . on our way to school one morning, the bully came running. He jumped off his porch and ran across the yard, headed straight toward us. We were toast. The bully ran up to my brother and threatened to beat him up. What?? You’re gonna beat up my brother? I don’t think so. I don’t want to fight. But don’t mess with me. Or my brother. So, I did what any little sister would do. I waited until he wasn’t looking my way and I walloped that bully over the head with my metal lunch box. (You know a paper sack would not have had nearly the effect!) It was the only thing I could think of to do. Sadly, it put a pretty big dent in my beautifully decorated and personalized lunch box. And it put one in the bully, too. A seven year old with a metal lunch box can bring about some serious behavior modification. The bully never, ever bothered us again.

Now, I’m all geared up for a brand new bully. First some background. In the fall, I did the Covenant Bible study by Kay Arthur. That study drove something straight home to me – God is fighting for me. When I can’t, He will. And does. My enemies are His enemies. Bullies don’t stand a chance. When I began the Jonah – Navigating a Life Interrupted Bible study in January, I had NO IDEA that God was using it to prepare me for my very own gigantic interruption. One of the things we learned from the Bible study has just kept popping in my head week after week – interruptions may just be divine interventions. So I need to pay attention to those interruptions.

Well . . . my interruption has come in the form of a diagnosis of breast cancer. Not what I was expecting this time last week. But, as I have learned from studying Jonah, God is always in control, hears our prayers, and answers them. So, cancer, if you think you are going to steal my joy or my faith – think again. My God is bigger and stronger than you will ever be. Cancer. Yuck. I don’t even like writing the word. What a bully. But cancer has a thing or two to learn. You don’t mess with a girl who has a metal lunch box and isn't afraid to use it, an aversion to bullies, prayer warriors storming the gates of heaven, and God on her side. This is just the beginning - actually, the beginning of the beginning - but I am already fighting. And God – He’s right there with me. You can join us, too!

O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. Psalm 30:2


No comments:

Post a Comment