Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gifts

The year that I was in the first grade, Mama decided that we needed bicycles for Christmas and Daddy agreed. I already knew how to ride a bicycle. The one I used was a small hand-me-down from my brother. It was old and pretty much worn out because it was a hand-me-down when he got it, too. The handlebars kept falling off at the worst times. Not that there is ever a good time for that to happen. Daddy kept getting them welded back on. Anyway, I developed a bike riding style where I rode slowly and jumped off at the first sign of trouble. Like when the handlebars fell off or the pedals got stuck. That kind of trouble.

Mama was so excited about our Christmas bicycles that she bought them in October. And then she was so excited about having them that she convinced Daddy to give them to us right then. So, unbeknownst to us, we had Christmas in October. We were thrilled. My bicycle was shiny blue and silver. My brother’s was red and silver. I thought they were the most beautiful bikes on the planet. And they were big. These were 26” bicycles. A little too big, but Mama was sure we would grow into them. We did. Eventually. 

Daddy had to modify the pedals so I could reach them. He always said I got my long legs from working so hard to reach the pedals.I could not wait to hop on and ride. There was one other little problem. I didn’t know how the brakes worked, so I wasn’t too good at stopping. That had never been an issue when I rode the small bike – the one with delicate handlebars. When I was at the end of my ride, I just jumped off. Problem solved. But this new bicycle was a different matter entirely. I could not just jump off. I tried that and found out immediately that it didn’t work. Cuts and bruises are good reminders. I needed a new method in a hurry. And I found it. Sort of.

Here’s what I did. Our yard had a chain link fence, so I used it to my advantage. When I was ready to dismount, I would stop pedaling and start coasting. Then I would try to time it just right and stop by ramming into the chain link fence. Not an ideal solution, but it mostly worked for me until I learned how to use the brakes. It was kind of hard on the fence, though. Nonetheless, a lack of braking know-how did not dampen my bike riding joy.

Well, here I am again at the Cancer Center for my LAST chemo treatment. Woohoo!! This journey has often felt like riding that bicycle without knowing how to operate the brakes. I just have to keep going until I run into a fence somewhere. And God has been with me every step of the way. This would have been impossible without Him. Sometimes I think that God must love me in a way similar to Mama. He has something good for me and just can’t wait to give it to me. He feels that way about you, too.  God has many, many gifts for each of us.  Sometimes they just aren't wrapped in something you recognize as being good.  But I know - every experience is truly a gift that God can help you use.

For God's gifts and his call are irrevocable. Romans 11:29

No comments:

Post a Comment