Wednesday, October 27, 2010

This Is No Pinky Promise

I really hate to admit this, but . . . not so long ago, anytime “covenant” got mentioned, I found myself kind of tuning out just a little. It seemed way over my head and slightly boring. I have already mentioned that I didn’t even want to DO the Covenant Bible study! That was then. This is now.
Just my opinion, but I think the whole church should do this Covenant Bible study. How it will open your eyes!! Really. We are studying covenants from Genesis to Revelation. Who knew it was so interesting?!

Okay, how many times have you heard of the new covenant? And how many of those times have you understood what it means? Really, really understood what it means? Well, I was one of those who understood it, got it, and could talk about it. But looking at the new covenant in light of all the other covenants gives me a brand new way of seeing it. You will understand the depth of God’s love for you if you study covenants.

Here’s a little Greek lesson for you. Did you know that there are two different Greek words for “new” in the New Testament? Neos means new as compared to old. But, kainos means new as in unique. In every passage in the Bible except one, guess which one is used for new covenant? Kainos. The new covenant is unique. It is different from and better than all the other covenants. It has promises never before offered by any other covenant. Here they are: we get the power to obey God (this is NOT a natural human response!); we get forgiveness (blood of animals cannot take away sin; Christ’s blood can); we get eternal life and a never ending relationship with God.

This is no pinky promise. This is the real thing. Please, please, please – make it a priority to study and understand the whole concept of covenant. It will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment